Kids for Coltrane, part 1

The third graders from Holliswood School in Jamaica celebrated the Coltrane genius in their own special way, under the guidance of teacher Christine Passarella.

Boys getting ready to perform in honor of John Coltrane
Boys getting ready to perform in honor of John Coltrane

Girls anticipating a wonderful day before their performance.

Girls anticipating a wonderful day before their performance.

Audience getting ready for a great show! Director of the nonprofit group Friends of the Coltrane Home Steve Fulgoni in the audience! (Sitting far left)

The giving spirit of John Coltrane was all around us. Teacher Ms. Passarella quoted Elvin Jones, Coltrane's gifted drummer. He said that,

The giving spirit of John Coltrane was all around us. Teacher Ms. Passarella quoted Elvin Jones, Coltrane’s gifted drummer. He said that, “John Coltrane was an angel…a real angel.”

The children dancing an original dance which they called Chasin the Trane.

The children dancing an original dance which they called Chasin the Trane.

The team making sure everything goes off without any problems.
The team making sure everything goes off without any problems.

Parents of our stars in the front rows with Superintendent of Schools Anita Saunders far left first row.

Students listening to Jazz guitarist Louis Vignapiano playing the guitar so beautifully. They wrote lyrics to his original music during the second grade. They sang and danced to these original songs during the show.

Class 2-119 and Louis Arsmstrong  singing Bob Thiele's  It's A Wonderful World.
Class 2-119 and Louis Armstrong singing Bob Thiele’s It’s A Wonderful World. The audience quickly jumped in!

Holliswood School Principal Diane Hobbs congratulating the performers, and encourging the students at our school to be philanthropic and help the nonprofit group Friends of the Coltrane Home with their efforts.

State Senator Frank Padavan with teacher Ms. Christine Passarella. He was touched by these precious children.

Louis Vignapiano chatting with John Coltelli who is a supporter of the Friends of the Coltrane Home and was also reporting on the event for a Queens newspaper.

Comments

1. Claudia Cebollero says:

We need more innovative teachers like this one in our school districts. Talented, experienced cultured mature women to be role models for new teachers as well as for their students. This is an excellent example of allowing a creative individual who is a teacher spread her wings and advance her students and communities interests in the Arts.

2. Aileen Rosenbaum says:

What a wonderful experience these children had. it is so nice to see such a dedicated and such a creative teacher teach her students in very special ways. Kudos to Ms. Passarella!!!! You did a wonderful job!

3. I love this Mrs.Passarelle. It is really nice and cool. I’m sure you worked real hard to make this show great!!

4. i’m in in the picture where it says “The team making sure everything goes off without any problems.
    “…i go to this school

5. hi ms passarella and the kids for coltrane I migth be leaving PS/IS 178 just becuase I am laeving does not mean I am not part of the kids for coltrane

6. kids for coltrane rock I love kids for coltrane

7. dear Ms.passarella the show that we did was the best. i loved the dance moves. I LOVE YOU MS.PASSARELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. JANASIA SPOTSON says:

hi kids for coltrane I really misssssssssssss you guys I hope you guys are having fun bye

9. Christine Passarella says:

Hi Janasia!

The other Kids for Coltrane miss you too! We hope you are enjoying your new school.
    You will always be a Kid for Coltrane!! Even grown ups are Kids for Coltrane. All you have to be is young at heart and believe in following your bliss!! Last week, I met Mrs. Kathleen Coltrane!! She is Ravi Coltrane’s lovely wife. She is proud of the Kids for Coltrane. I went to the 50th anniversary celebration for the music on Giant Steps and Kind of Blue. Mrs. Coltrane was there along with some other fabulous folks. I even met some of the band members who play with Wynton Marsalis. The celebration was at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Do you remember when our class went there and learned more about John Coltrane, Louis Armstrong and so many other great jazz musicians. While at Jazz at Lincoln Center, I spoke to members of the Friends of the Coltrane Home group. They were telling visitors about the Coltrane Home and how it should be turned into a place of learning. I hope that happens soon. Maybe when it does, you can come back to New York and all The Kids for Coltrane can meet at the special garden Mr. Fulgoni planted in your honor. If not, we will be sure to send you pictures. Yoko Ono sent the Kids for Coltrane a letter of support!She encouraged us to “Imagine Peace.” I think John Coltrane would be proud of us! If your mom gives you permission, you can email me and the other kids at illuminata4@aol.com Keep doing that wonderful research you are famous for. I know you will do great things for the world. Love, Ms. Passarella

10. stav fokshner says:

I love the kids for coltrane plus Ms.passarella peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. stav fokshner says:

you are the best Ms.Passarella!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. stav fokshner says:

Janasia I misssssssssssssss you. Peace out! Please write me back. Lets stay in touch. Friends forever!

13. christineforcoltrane says:

Hi Stav,

You are the best too! Check out my new website.

Love,
    Ms. Passarella

14. janasia spotson says:

hi kids for coltrane love all the comments thank u for sending me them im going to the fourth grade!!!! we will always be kids for coltrane for the rest of our lifes my new school name is Willow Creek Elementray I went to New york but i did,t get to visited the school but i,m going back because my mom has a bisiness there in New York i hope u gals and guys are still porfroming SHOUT OUT FOR KIDS FOR COLTRANE!!!!!!!!!!

15. i reallly miss u guys now im in 4 th grade and so r u guys were growing way to fast i really want to come to new york and i hope i can come out there on day bye

16. u guys rock

17. I love it so much. I wish I had it.

from sarina Kalontarov

Trackbacks

1. […] A cool tale about second graders at P.S. 178 in Queens falling in love with John Coltrane, and raising funds to help restore the house in nearby Dix Hills [previously on mefi] where the saxophonist (and […]